Roberto González Sainz-Maza holds a MSc Degree in Industrial Engineering with specialization in Electricity by the University of Bilbao (ETSII Bilbao). He started working in 1998 as a power transformers designer for ABB and then enrolled in Iberdrola Distribución.
During last 16 years he has held different positions in Iberdrola, such as Regional Electricity Networks Planning Manager (1,5 years) and Madrid Distribution Control Center Manager (6 years). After that, he was proposed to participate as a Resident Researcher in EPRI offices in Knoxville, TN (USA) for 2 years, with focus on smart grids, energy efficiency and electric vehicles.
Last 6 years he’s been working under the supervision of Miguel Sánchez Fornié coordinating the smart grid projects activities and participating in a variety of European projects on smart grids like UPGRID (as a Coordinator), ADDRESS, GRID+, ADVANCED, IGREENGRID, DISCERN, as well as other projects at Spanish level like PRICE.
He is the SC6 Spanish member in CIGRE, EPRI contact in Iberdrola smart grids related matters, and is participating in several groups like EDSO4SG Technology WG, FutuRed (Spanish future networks platform).
On the agenda
Stew Horne, Head of Energy Regulation, Citizens Advice, UK
Hans Vandenbroucke, Head of Market Structure, Elia System Operator, Belgium
Antony Zegers, Responsible for R&D projects for System Operators and Service Providers, AIT / International Smart Grids Action Network
- Electra - Luciano Martini, Director of Transmission and Distribution Technologies, RSE Spa, Italy
- FutureFlow - Darko Kramar, Assistant Director, TSO Division, ELES, Slovenia
- UPGRID - Roberto González Sainz-Maza, Global Smart Grids, Iberdrola, Spain
- InspireGrid - Stefano Maran, Leading Scientist, RSE Spa, Italy
- Puglia Active Network - Vincenzo Maria Emma, Senior Project Manager, e-distribuzione, Italy
Discussion moderated by Annika Viklund, Senior Vice-President, Vattenfall, Sweden